JOB DETAILS & OVERVIEW
- Wage: $15.55 / hour
- Location: Valley, Daniels, Sheridan, & Roosevelt Counties in Montana
- Veterans Preference
- American Indian Preference
- Close Date: Open until filled
If you have a passion for serving Veterans, consider becoming a Great Plains Veterans Services Center (GPVSC) Service Driver
in Valley, Daniels, Sheridan, and Roosevelt Counties
The Great Plains Veterans Services Center (GPVSC) was established on June 24, 2015, and recognized as a 501(c)(3) organization in February of 2016. The GPVSC is headquartered on the Rocky Boy's Indian Reservation in North Central Montana. The GPVSC established the Veterans Support Services (VSS) program in January of 2017. The purpose of this program is to provide Veterans with access to all VA benefits they have earned; assists unemployed Veterans to become self-sufficient by transitioning them into the workforce; supports homeless Veterans or at-risk for homeless Veterans in attaining and maintaining housing; provides mental health and suicide prevention support and provides case management to assist Veterans in overall quality of life needs. The VSS program’s service area includes three Indian Reservations and five rural Montana counties. In 2020 the GPVSC began operating its Veterans Transportation Services (VTS) program. This program provides transportation services to rural Montana Veterans for VA and VA-referred appointments. The VTS program’s service area includes four Indian Reservations and 17 rural Montana counties.
The Service Driver
provides mobility needs for Veterans with medical appointments and quality of life transportation necessities. This position works in a manner which supports the mission of the Great Plains Veterans Services Center, to ensure that daily operations, procedures, and standards are maintained in accordance with federal, tribal, and state laws and regulations. This position is an on-call position.
This position reports to the Veterans Transportation Manager and will be responsible for many duties, including but not limited to:
- Transporting Veterans to medical appointments, job sites, and other areas for general quality of life needs.
- Providing assistance to passengers to ensure safe boarding and disembarking of the vehicle.
- Reporting any concerns or mentioned needs, in a timely manner, to the Transportation Manager for follow-up and referral services.
- Monitoring and scheduling vehicle maintenance and managing transportation logs and receipts.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of customer service and the Northeastern area of Montana.
- Knowledge of vehicle maintenance and service record keeping.
- Ability to communicate in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to be flexible and work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively to ensure organizational success.
- Successfully complete first-responder training, including CPR and Narcan training within 6 months of hire.
- Must hold a Montana Driver’s license and successfully complete a driving and criminal history check.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to drive a vehicle up to 10 hours per day.
- Must be able to change a tire.
- Must be able to carry client belongings to and from the vehicle (ex: wheelchair, luggage, oxygen tank(s), etc.)
- Lifting requirement up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to escort clients with limited mobility, to and from the vehicle, and in and out of the vehicle.
- Must be able to drive during inclement weather conditions.
- Some overnight travel is required.
To apply, please send a completed GPVSC application form here
- Must hold a valid Montana driver's license and successfully complete a driver's history check.
- Benefits include SEP retirement plan.
- Health insurance is not covered.
- Successful applicants are subject to drug testing, and criminal history checks.
or by mail to CMS, Attn: Veterans Service Driver, PO Box 1251, Helena, MT 59624. If you are a Veteran and wish to claim a Veteran’s preference, please include a DD214 or other supporting documentation. If you wish to claim American Indian preference, please include a current Tribal ID or other enrollment documentation. Call Casey with questions or to get an application at 406-442-4934.
Great Plains Veterans Services Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.